Bertrand Madsen is a civil litigator with deep experience at handling disputes in arbitration proceedings, and federal and state courts. Prior to founding Madsen Law P.C., Mr. Madsen was a federal prosecutor in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York where he represented the United States government in civil cases covering a wide array of regulatory, constitutional, contractual and tort issues.
Fluent in four languages – English, French, Spanish, and Haitian Creole, Mr. Madsen handles conflicts on behalf of international and domestic companies and individuals. He has counseled clients involved in disputes and contractual matters in the United States, Europe, Africa and the Caribbean. These matters often involve commercial and financial issues, such as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, misappropriation of confidential information and fraud, or relate to conflicts involving federal law or the federal government.
Mr. Madsen has represented a telecommunications company from Haiti, and an engineering and construction firm from the Dominican Republic, in federal litigation in the United States. He advised an East African entity doing business in Eastern Europe on issues relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and he litigated the breach of a distributorship agreement on behalf of a petroleum products provider in arbitration proceedings in France. This wide-ranging experience in a variety of legal settings and cultural environments has given Mr. Madsen the skills to effectively represent his clients in all aspects of dispute resolution.
Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Mr. Madsen served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ursula Ungaro, United States District Judge in the Southern District of Florida, and he worked as a litigator at the international law firms Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP and Cohen & Gresser LLP in New York.
Mr. Madsen is a dedicated and trusted advisor. He is focused on developing a close working relationship with the firm’s clients and committed to obtaining a favorable resolution of their disputes.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 2002, Cum Laude (Editor, Cornell Law Review)
- Cornell University, B.A., 1998, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York State
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Bar Association Memberships:
- Federal Bar Council
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions:
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York, 2009-2013
- Cohen & Gresser LLP, 2006-2009
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, 2004-2006
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, The Honorable Ursula Ungaro, 2002-2004
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 2011-Present